Saturday, July 16, 2011

Back to the Beginning

"Fezzig said, 'Go back to the beginning,' and this is the beginning."  ~ The Princess Bride

Various "Freebie" clothes and hair.
(In which I continue to thoroughly embarrass myself by showing my earliest attempts at creating my character in second life.)

So, continuing on with the story of my character and it's transformations...

I often wonder; with all the choices in Second Life, of who, (or what,) I could become, how did I end up looking so much like myself? I find it very amusing. I believe we were discussing this in an earlier post. Considering my goal is to create a persona and inhabit it in a virtual world; I could literally be a demon or a small fuzzy animal, (or a LARGE fuzzy animal,) a man, (done that,)a car hop, a piece of Swiss cheese, (only kidding,)a horned monster, a vampire,(done that,) or a seven foot tall banana. Considering my choices, becoming a red haired human with extremely creamy pale skin, green eyes, occasional glasses, a largish crooked nose and small lips would seem to be a little close to reality. 


Necklace by Virtual Impressions, forehead jewel by Grim Brothers, Fur by Icing, dress by Nicky Ree, hair by Ingenue


My look was determined in the beginning by the things I assumed I would be doing in Second Life. I thought for sure I would be engaged in some kind of steampunk scenario, or at least, Victorian role play of some kind. I ended up spending a lot of time in an Industrial/Goth club called Industrial Dreams, so I invested in clothes I wanted to wear there and in looking the way I wanted to look there. I always wore unusually over the top outfits to clubs in real life; so my sl wardrobe was similar; bustles, corsets, hats, period clothing of many kinds.



Bustle Gown by the Curious Seamstress

There was still, however, an awful lot of "all dressed up with no where to go," and I really needed some more to do than just walk around and change into different clothes. I visited the Legacies rp sim, without success, I also went to a few different clubs; but seemed to be going at the wrong times. Industrial Dreams was still a lot of fun, but I certainly wasn't going to create a club kid as my project! I had been walking around Languedoc Coeur for awhile and I managed to get on their events list. I went to one of the monthly balls where I danced with a nice young man. I also met a couple of the vendors as they sat in their shops. It was a start.

In the meantime the thirties had gotten a hold of me and I was going to The New Champagne Rooms whenever there was a show, plus I tried out Bogart's many times; hoping it was hiding some magic. Champers is a great place. The people are really friendly and the show is a genuine treat. I went to Weimar Berlin, but found I was too tall and it was too empty. I also visited several sims where I could be a Geisha; even one which offered virtual Geisha training!

Satin Top and skirt by Vita Bella, wig by Cut Up and Dyed, fur by Donna Flora
A friend mentioned Versailles in one of our chats; so I decided to visit. (As described in an earlier post.) I also visited St. Petersburg; and found it charming. But I still wasn't sure (and am not yet,) that either place was going to be for me. But the 18th century was/is growing on me.  So, we come almost to the present.



Gown by Ephemera, "Victoire" Wig by Yoohoo
Next: Of Courtiers and Kings ; How to get the 18th century look - I'll be talking about the search for an 18th century made-up look, along with the requirements for proper powdered wig and make-up for the Grand Habit de la Cour in role playing in Versailles - information applicable to both  Men and Women.



Gown by Ephemera, Portrait Miniature Brooch by Westbuitin, Animated Fan by Cherie, "Antoinette" wig
 


2 comments:

  1. If you are slightly interested in virtual geishas... (I'm their almost regular guest in Hosoi Mura) ...to become a virtual geisha is very complicated if you are not Japanese, since learning Japanese songs and performing them in Japanese language is a traditional part of a geisha training. There is no virtual geisha/geiko who cannot sing at least a few songs at the tea houses (on the audio stream). Of course one can specialize herself in dancing or playing the shamisen instead, but learning to sing a few songs is essential.
    Besides, if you are still interested to see a geiko performance (as a guest), I can offer you a landmark, and you can find the names of the groups in my SL profile that maybe you can join to get the invitation group notices from the tea houses/ochiyas.
    Friendly greetings, Mercury Gandt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the information. I was interested in the training, but I think I have been overtaken by some other things, though I would love to attend performances or go to the teahouse and relax. i would appreciate any help you can give me and I will certainly look at your profile for the groups you refer to. I've been interested in Japanese culture for quite awhile, and it is gratifying to know others who are also interested in it.

    ReplyDelete