Saturday, July 2, 2011

Back to My Future

Well, getting back to the present for a bit; I'm getting closer to a persona bit by bit, as I spend time in various places in sl and interact with the people there.

One of the places/periods (18th century: circa 1772) I'm spending a lot of time in is Versailles. The most unexpected things can happen there. Yesterday I bumped into this little guy:


A beautifully rendered little French bulldog named Bernard

His name is "Bernard" and he seems to be fond of lingering on the path between the teleport point/kiosk  and the outdoor market in Versailles. Dogs like this were beloved of Marie Antoinette, and consequently, the rest of the court. I'm assuming he's a french bulldog, and if you've seen the Sophia Coppola film; "Marie Antoinette" you'll remember that when Marie first comes to France from Austria, her beloved dog is taken from her because it is Austrian and she may not bring anything with her from a foreign court. Marie Antoinette was so fond of her dogs that she had her furniture legs and arms carved with little dogs' heads. Some of this furniture survived the revolution and can still be seen today.




Ladies of the court; one with an adorable little dog. The lady on the far left with her back to us
is me; wearing Ephemera. the lady in the middle is also wearing Ephemera. Other clothing unknown.

The first picnic I went to was attended by a young man who designs lovely jewelled portraits, sedan chairs and furniture, including little baroque dog beds. He had a little French bulldog with him, and  one of the ladies at the Charity Ball and Auction later the same week also had a dog.  You see him in her arms above; a truly sweet little dog. One of the coolest things I discovered in second life is that you can have realistic, virtual pets; as well as horses, cattle, rabbits, tigers, ferrets, etc. As I am not allowed pets where I live and also have always wanted to ride horses this is a very welcome discovery. The type of pets one had in the 18th century were similar in a way to the modern woman with her toy chihuahua. One's status is inferred by the clothes one wears and the pets one has. In the virtual world some pets require feeding and attention to be kept alive. I hope this is optional! I don't want to spend too much time worrying about an animal. I'm too busy shopping! Terrible, I know.


Late for a ball, I take the opportunity to take some images in a new gown from Ephemera.
Wig "Antoinette" by Canelle, fan by Cherie, Winter Fairy skin by Rag Dollz 
 Back to my future; I've now attended several court events and interacted with the courtiers there. Every time a serious one comes up I have a little excited/nervous flutter. The first few events I made some mistakes. The first one was showing up without a character and expecting to be able to role play; though this did not completely prevent it. A few people took pity on me; and unexpected things happened. I met a few people. I made a new friend. And one of the scarier, (and I mean this in the nicest way,) characters said something very nice about me when she thought I was out of hearing.

I then attended an event where the King was present and neglected to notice in the dress notes that a powdered wig and face are de rigour in his presence. I was wearing a huge natural coloured wig with an even huger hat with many ribbons. I couldn't see a thing and I was trying to back out of the tent. No luck. The King had sent an IM telling me about the wig requirement, and I was trying to make an inconspicuous getaway. I finally teleported out and went somewhere to change, but by the time I got back the party was breaking up and the King was either gone or about to be. At least I found out what I need to look like to be in the Kings presence!


At the charity ball in a dress by Ephemera, fan by Cherie, Äntoinette"wig by Canelle, sleeve, neck ruffles and chest ribbons from Trefusis

I was, however,able to attend several events, and I met several more people, in Versailles, Languedoc and St. Petersburg. I've now been accepted onto the online web site for the court of Versailles and I'm getting their announcements on second life, as well. I think they are expecting me to become a part of their court. I'm not certain that's what I want. It's not that I won't end up doing that, it's just that the character is still developing and I'm not certain that 's what it will want. I have to follow what the character wants.

For me, the psychology of character personification is complex. I usually prefer non-historical personages; but I have done a couple of real individuals; Elizabeth Eleanor Siddal; the poet and painter, and Mary Shelley; the author of Frankenstein. In each case, opportunity coincided with intellectual interest to encourage me to pursue this type of character, but usually, I go with a successive number of creative inspirations such as films, books, chance encounters, etc. Usually it's sort of a build up of coincidence which then inspires a tiny flame of a character. If this inspiration can be sustained through all the work that goes into character building, then I have a new persona.

The same seems to be holding true for second life. A desire to be a certain type of individual is emerging. It is coalescing; coming into focus.. Before I went online I had great interest in pursuing an 18th century character for a friends' role playing group. I bought yards and yards of ribbon and fabric to make up a wardrobe for her and watched every 18th century film I had over and over. I started reading about society in the period and practiced a french accent and the bit of french I have left over from school. (By the way, watch "Marie Antoinette" with the french dubbing. It's a lovely experience.) This is one of my language and accent learning methods; to watch film with dubbing in another language or in other languages. It works very well, for speaking. On sl, unfortunately, I need to be able to read and write French. And I keep misspelling Monsieur!


Wig "Äntoinette"by Canelle, headpiece by Ephemera, Gown by Wunderlich, chest
ribbons by Trefusis

Anyway, I'm at last feeling a distinct personality. This is a great sign. I've researched one historical personage I either want to become or I may base the character on her. I'll write about it more as I decide or feel out where it's going. I don't want to tip my hand. The ideal thing would be to be able to move between several  places. I think she may be a little more independent than she ought to be, but I think I need that.

And with that...

2 comments:

  1. Yes I quite agree,thats why I like being the contessa inworld.She can go wherever she wants and make her own decisions.

    Its nothing wrong with rp-ing as a historical character but it can be limiting...

    So wichever choice you make,remember to stay true to your heart:))


    Interesting blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci, Madame,

    Your words have touched my heart. To know that others have felt the same way is comforting. To stay true to ones' heart may be difficult, but it is never a bad thing; or so I believe.

    A. Savatier

    ReplyDelete